Monday, February 18, 2019

The Square Peg – Tax Time


The Square Peg – Tax Time
© S. Bradley Stoner



Well, it’s that time of year again. Yep, tax time. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I hate doing tax returns. First off, you have to make sure you have all of the documentation. For me that means a stack of 1099s in addition to W-2s. Heaven forbid you misplace one… it will screw up your whole day… or week, not to mention the potential to screw up your return. I hate it when that happens.

The other thing is, tax time interferes with springtime in Texas. Yep, things are starting to grow and bloom. Good things like my Glads, Mexican Sage, Mexican Firebush, Esperanzas, roses, and Bougainvilla. And bad things like weeds. I don’t know who brought them in, but there are thorny dandelions in my lawn. Yep, I said thorny. They have needle-like stickers on the edges of the leaves… and they have a tap root that tries to reach China.

Not that I like weeding, but I’d far rather spend my time outside than stuck in my office trying to muddle through all the new instructions for forms 1040, 1040sa, 1040sc, 1040se and 1040sse and whatever else I run across that has to be filed this year. Its enough to drive a CPA crazy. So yeah, even weeding seems a better alternative. At least I can be in the sunshine, even if it’s a bit cool.

That’s right, I said “cool.” Fifties and sixties in Texas is cool. Thirties and forties are downright cold. We don’t get may of those days, thank heaven. And I really don’t want to hear all those snowpocalypse stories from you notherners. I used to live up there. It’s why I live in Texas now. It’s more tolerable. At least you don’t have to find excuses to stay inside and do your taxes. I mean, what else are you going to do?

I just finished downloading all the IRS forms and going through all my receipts and office expenses. It was exhausting. I think I’ll go out and pull some weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment