Wednesday, November 1, 2017

The Square Peg – Where There’s a Way, There’s a Will



The Square Peg – Where There’s a Way, There’s a Will
© S. Bradley Stoner



I am not getting lazy. Well okay, maybe I’m getting a little lazy. I’d like to tell you there’s a reason I haven’t written many blogs in the past few months, but there really isn’t one, at least not a good one. The problem is that there just isn’t much in the neighborhood to write about. I’m starting to think people are avoiding me, but I guess they’re just busy. So, I’ve gotten busy as well.

There’s a ton of things I needed to do to get ready for winter… yeah, I know, everybody living up north is laughing their ass off. “Winter? In Texas? You gotta be kidding!” Oh, shut up already. We get winter here… it’s just a kinder, gentler winter than that bone-crunching cold y’all get up there. Why do you think I moved down here? That’s right, I’ve been there, done that, and got the T-shirt to prove it. So, don’t whine to me about freezing your butt off. I’m not buying it. You’ve got technology to keep you warm that wasn’t even on the drawing board when I lived up north.

Except for a few old-schoolers like me (and you know who you are), the coldest most folks get today is during the three seconds it takes their electric socks and underwear to warm up before they venture out, and even that seems to be getting rare for a lot. Shoot, folks don’t even go out to shop or eat anymore. They don’t need to. They get it on-line. Yep, there’s an app for that. And work? Now there’s telecommuting and it’s becoming more prevalent than ever before. Heck, I can appreciate that. It relieves traffic jams and, frankly, sitting in front of a computer in your underwear and bathrobe beats the heck out of dressing to impress, right?

Sorry, I got sidetracked. Anyway, I’ve been doing my fall trimming, cleaning up the gardens, and doing a hundred other little chores. Alright, alright, I’ll admit to stopping to smell the roses – yes, they’re still blooming – and generally just piddling around a bit. But, hey, that’s my prerogative… I’m retired. That means I’m supposed to have time to piddle around and reflect on life, right? Right.

Speaking of reflecting, I decided it’s time to get some of my affairs in order. No, I’m not on the verge of “shuffling off this mortal coil,” I’ve just put thing off as long as is prudent. I started making out my will, something my brother suggested I should do about thirty years ago. What does he know? He’s just a lawyer. Besides, thirty years ago I didn’t have much to leave anybody, at least not much anybody I knew wanted. Simpler times were good times. Now, I… wait a minute… I don’t own much now… being married to my soul-mate, we own stuff… in joint. Heck… I can put this off for a while longer, and I think I will.

Whew… now that’s settled, I wonder what other mischief I can get into? After all, I’ve got the time… I’m retired.

No comments:

Post a Comment